Saturday, June 14, 2008

Mobile Development

I was recently asked about my experiences making TinyBuddy IM. Here are my very biased thoughts about it and mobile development in general.

My Background
I like to make web products that people use. I am a front-end developer, and I love using JavaScript, HTML and CSS. I have done some C/C++ for a cross-browser streaming audio browser plugin. I recently played with Objective C as part of an iPhone SDK experiment. I did Java on the server for a few years too.

HTML, or some sort of declarative markup, is the way to code front end UI. It clearly shows the nested relationships between components. However, I liked the Interface Builder approach in the iPhone SDK, very WYSIWYG. It still some kinks to work out with the beta iPhone SDK though.

I also like trying to reach the largest possible audience with the shortest toolchain. To me, this means favoring an HTML/CSS/JavaScript UI first, and only considering other alternatives when that approach will not work. Particularly since I favor developing applications for the internet.

One Mobile Renderer to Rule Them All
I did not do mobile development until TinyBuddy IM. It just seemed too painful -- too many custom environments, too many cumbersome toolchains for native apps. And the browsers really sucked.

However, now with WebKit on the iPhone and in Android, it is tolerable. Those platforms also have a decent toolchain for "native" apps: iPhone SDK/Objective C for iPhone, and a Java environment for Android.

However, WebKit is most interesting to me: it is a modern, very capable browser that will be on two major mobile platforms. While JavaScript performance is still slow on mobile browsers (both compared to desktop browsers and native code), there is promise that it will get faster with WebKit's SquirrelFish.

For the first time, it is actually possible to consider making a powerful web app for a mobile device. You have good odds of developing one mobile app that runs on multiple devices too. Or at least have lots of code overlap.

Of course a web app is not appropriate for every app, and it does not have access to as many services as a native app, but it does have a lot. With the latest WebKit for instance, you will have local storage.

You Are Dead to Me
Not every mobile device has WebKit. What about Windows Mobile devices, BlackBerry, or all the other devices out there in the market today? Well, for me, they do not make it easy to develop. And I am lazy. I use an iPhone, so I am going to develop for what I use. However, I chose an iPhone specifically because it is easy to do development.

So the other platforms are not that important to me, and if my developer laziness is any indication, they are in for some trouble. They need to get WebKit or Gecko on their devices and use a better toolchain. Opera's browser may be an option too, but I am not clear if it is up to the capabilities of WebKit. If it is, great. I like the Opera on the Wii.

Again, it may not be reasonable to discard these other platforms, depending on your app, but I have decided the other platforms are not worth the effort, given my interests. I really want to make interesting end user products without spending time on platform minutia, and I feel like the iPhone's and Android's reach will be good enough for me.

Mobile Application Design
I approach the technical design of a mobile app by trying to see if the following approaches fit the problem:
  1. A purely browser-based web app.
  2. A native app that gives a "desktop" icon, and access to phone services (for instance, location services), but use a WebKit view for the main UI interface. Set up hooks in the WebKit view so it has access to the phone services.
  3. A purely native application.
#2 has many shades to it, but I like it because it minimizes installed code. Revving a native application is more work than a server-based one.

Remember, I'm assuming this is an internet app, and you know the HTML/CSS/JavaScript trifecta already.

There are tradeoffs. Speed of loading/dependence on network, but again, I prefer to first look at a web-based solution first: maybe it makes sense for the native app to cache the HTML/JS/CSS/images locally.

Native Apps
What you want to build may not work as a web app. For those cases I still prefer iPhone or Android.

For iPhone, you have a nice dev environment with a WYSIWYG UI tool (Interface Builder). Objective C feels a lot like JavaScript to me -- some concept of a prototypical object, and runtime, dynamic dispatch where you can send messages to objects that may or may not respond to that type of message. Unfortunately you have to do the memory retain/release thing, but it is manageable. Lots of helpful videos and examples at the iPhone Developer site too.

For Android, using Java syntax and libraries are a big plus over some sort of C/C++ thing. Java can be verbose, but it is easy to program with an IDE, and hopefully they kept in the garbage collection like Java. That alone is a big win. I have not used Android yet, and I have heard of problems with trying to program in that environment (maybe they have been worked out now?), but it seems worth spending effort on that path. It seems like it has a good shot of survival over the long run.

UI Design
There is a great intro video on the iPhone Developer site about "User Interface Design for iPhone Applications". You will need a (free) Apple Developer ID to view it. But take the time to view it.

The main point: a mobile app is not a desktop app. Do not try to do too much. For TinyBuddy IM, I decided to not include buddy list management features in the UI (add/remove/move buddy). The app was designed for doing quick IMs with your buddies. Buddy list management just seemed to get in the way of that goal. Not to mention the lack of copy and paste on the phone. It just did not seem like a worthwhile activity for a mobile app.

Also, use the UI paradigms available on the phone. For native apps, Apple has a lot of built in templates for using the standard lists and tables you see throughout the iPhone UI. I used a very early version of iUI for a web toolkit that gives an approximation of the native iPhone UI. There may even be some resources in the latest iPhone SDK to make web development easier in this respect.

So, keep it simple, keep it familiar. Once you get the fundamentals down and released something, you can consider your own style (if appropriate).

Pain Points
It is not all roses. There are notable restrictions making mobile web apps. These limitations are specifically from the iPhone, but I would expect them to be roughly the same if not more oppressive in Android environments.
  • Resource limits.
  • Cache limitations (25KB max size, uncompressed, if you want it cached, 19 total cacheable items).
  • As mentioned above, JavaScript performs slower than desktop JavaScript or native code.
  • You web app is paused when it is not in the forefront (also a limit for native apps, but native apps will have a notification service you can use that will help with this).
That last one is particularly vexing for TinyBuddy IM, since it is an IM client. So a native app for the IM problem space is probably more appropriate. Or some sort of native component that ties into to the notification service? :)

TinyBuddy IM Weaknesses
I need to spend more time optimizing the TinyBuddy IM code:
  • I do not do any sort of "Fetch next 25" sort of thing to keep the buddy list size down.
  • The wiping between screens is slow.
  • The IM conversation window needs more polish.
  • Maybe some better navigation for multiple IM conversations.
So I definitely did not get it right with TinyBuddy IM. Now that there is a native IM app under development, I probably will not rev TinyBuddy IM again. However, I am amazed TinyBuddy IM works as well as it does -- I was able to be a little bit lazy, and still get something somewhat useful out. A good indicator for that platform.

Authentication
Most things I want to build require user authentication for at least some part of it. For TinyBuddy IM, that meant using AOL's OpenAuth authentication, since the Web AIM API used it. OpenAuth has a browser-based authentication system that any web page can use, and it even supports consuming some validated OpenID providers.

OpenAuth has a "clientLogin" API for desktop clients and Flash/AIR apps but I do not prefer it since it basically means the user hands over their name and password to your app, and then your app sends it to OpenAuth. While that might be nice from a usability standpoint, it bothers me personally from a security standpoint.

This is where something like OpenAuth's browser API (and in general OpenID in the browser) provides better protection. You only enter your name/password on the identity provider's web site, and a token is passed back to the web app that requires your credentials.

As an end user of this system, I can verify by the browser URL who is asking for my name/password. As a developer, I like just not having to touch passwords at all. It absolves me from the security issues with trying to manage passwords, even if it seems like I am only passing the password through to OpenAuth's clientLogin.

However, most end users are not this particular about using applications, they are happy to give their password to any site asking for it, particularly if it seems to be done in goodwill. They just want to use the app. Also, the browser based authentication can be weird -- popping a new window to get the auth credentials.

But the OpenID approach is the way of the future (going to another site to authenticate), so might as well get used to it. Particularly now that the OpenAuth authentication page has a "Remember Me" option, so the user does not have to keep entering name/password on every visit.

Have Fun!
Enough of my ramblings. The big thing for me: mobile development can be fun, particularly with the iPhone platform. Android, while not at the same level as iPhone development yet, also seems like it has promise too.

1 comment:

riz said...

Great post man! Definitely some great points made. I wish others at the company would understand the idea that mobile apps are not desktop replacements.

There's definitely been a feature (or two) added to our native app that didn't need to be there yet.